Should Red Reishi Mushrooms Be Grown At Home?
“What are the techniques to grow Reishi mushroom”,“How long will it take”, “Is it different to grow red Reishi mushroom at home” “When mushrooms can be harvested” “Whether home-grown mushrooms reach the standard?” are most frequently asked questions by those who are first starting off your Reishi mushroom cultivation journey at home
To answer above questions, PLN Mushroom today share stages in the process of Growing – Caring – Harvesting Reishi mushroom to provide a general view of Reishi mushroom cultivation including
- Producing mushroom spawn
- Planting – Care
2. Next, the standard process of planting and caring for the red reishi mushroom on the farm
- The time for a red reishi mushroom crop lasts from 70-80 days.
- A mushroom spawn produces 1 ear of mushrooms and is taken care continuously the mentioned time.
- For quality mushrooms, the grower and the surrounding area should always be clean, the temperature is below 30ºC, the humidity is from 80-90%, the light is from 600-800 lux and the house should always be well ventilated.
- First, mushroom spawns are placed in the incubation house. When the mycelium is strong enough (about more than ½ bag), proceed to wash the bag, remove the cotton pad in the spawn, and water mushrooms.
- Stages of mushroom development: pinhead- Stalk – fruiting body – cap – full-sized mushroom. As the fruiting body matures, it will lose its white border, produce spores and eventually release them to the incubation house and the environment.
- Each stage, mushrooms need to be cared for under certain conditions. Therefore, mushrooms must be grown in a qualified growing house.
⚠️ ⚠️ ⚠️ Common diseases in the process of growing and caring for red reishi mushrooms
In the process of planting and taking care of mushrooms, we only prevent the diseases affecting mushrooms. If the grower and techniques are not suitable, some common diseases will probably develop in the mushroom:
- The fruiting body forms but does not develop
- It forms a fruiting body and is divided into many branches
- Infested by insects during development
- Mushrooms only develop stalks and caps are small or not developed
- Fruit body infected with microorganisms
3. Harvesting and processing fully-grown mushrooms
- When the diameter of the mushroom ear reaches from 12-13cm, the outer edge thickness is about 1cm, it is the right time to harvest the mushrooms.
Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) meets harvest standards
- After harvesting, red Reishi mushroom is naturally dried in a greenhouse for about 2 days. After that, continue to put the mushrooms in the drying oven at 55°C for 2-3 hours so that the moisture content is below 11%. Finally, the mushrooms are classified and put in sealed bags, packed in boxes, and stored in storage.
Red reishi mushroom’s drying process
QUALITY OF THE FINISHED MUSHROOM EARS
A reishi mushroom spawn will be harvested up to 2 times, with a total time of more than 5 to 6 months. However, at PLN Mushrooms, we only harvest one time.
- Going through 3 major stages to harvest a quality, clean and qualified red Reishi mushroom requires practical knowledge and experience.
- Planting – caring for – harvesting those lovely red Ganoderma lucidum mushrooms is a very special feeling that each of us wants to experience once. However, to experience that feeling requires many stages to go through, effort, knowledge, and practical experience.
>>> Therefore, in case you cannot experience the interesting process of growing – caring – harvesting mushrooms yourself, don’t be too depressed since you are equipped with the knowledge to choose the best Reishi mushroom products for your health and your family’s health.
These are the tips from PLN Mushroom to choose quality Reishi mushroom:
- Should purchase products at reputable units qualified for food safety and hygiene
- Choose a standard size mushroom ear (about 12cm) that is not too small or too large
- Mushrooms are packed, well preserved, provide all the necessary information for the product
Through this article, PLN Mushrooms advises you not to grow red reishi at home for the above-mentioned reasons. On the other hand, some mushrooms that can be grown at home are Gray OysterMushroom, Golden Mushroom, Milky Mushroom, Long Leg Mushroom, Japanese Abalone Mushroom, Southern Poplar Mushroom Mushroom… which standard, clean and quality mushroom spawn are available at PLN Mushrooms. You should follow instructions and harvest fresh, clean, and nutritious mushrooms for a more delicious meal.